Monday, November 23, 2009

Gratitude

My heart is full this week--as the Primary song says, "I am glad for many things!" I am so grateful that Allen's situation has been resolved--that has weighed heavily on us for nearly a year. We had a great family dinner yesterday in lieu of Thanksgiving dinner, and it was so good to be with those that were able to make it. Dave and John brought in the Christmas tree and put it up and Madison put most of the ornaments on.

One year ago tonight Mother called us in a panic saying that Dad had collapsed on the floor. Jim and I rushed over. By the time we got there he was awake but was not aware of any of us. He lay on the floor looking off in the distance and reaching--reaching--as if he wanted to get up and go in that direction. We called the ambulance and stayed with him in the hospital for several hours. He never "came back." The doctor said that they could do several procedures to extend his life, but the quality of life would be marginal. We asked the doctor to keep him alive overnight until we could make a decision. That night in my prayers I came to know very strongly that Dad wanted to go. The next morning I called Mother and she had had the same impression. We gathered as many family members as we could at the hospital, said our good-byes, and shut off life support. So tomorrow is the first anniversary of Dad's passing. I think it is fitting that he passed away during Thanksgiving time. So added to my list of things to be grateful for is the life of the incredible man I am blessed to have as my father. I think of him often--so busy up there doing missionary work and teaching the gospel that he devoted his life to. I miss him terribly, but know that he is often near and will be there to greet each of us when it is our turn to "change addresses" as he used to say.

So Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Jim and I will be celebrating in our trailer at Coral Pink Sand Dunes, riding our four-wheelers and eating leftovers. We love you all so very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment